Paris Saint-Germain hosted Manchester City at the Parc des Princes in the first leg of the UEFA Champions League semi-finals.

PSG were looking to retain their spot into the last stage of the European competition while Pep Guardiola’s side played in the semi-finals for the first time in their club’s history.

The game kicked off with the home side looking as fluid as they did in previous matches, with Neymar Jr. especially impressing in the first half.

The Brazilian winger charged through the visitors’ defence alongside Kylian Mbappé creating a couple of early chances against the soon-to-be Premier League champions.

Paris took the lead in the first quarter of the game as their captain, Marquinhos, headed the ball into the box from a set piece in the 15th minute. The centre-back embraced Neymar as the headed ball went past Ederson.

Despite conceding early on to the home side, Man City attempted to press the Parisians in response, with a couple of chances created by Phil Foden and Kevin De Bruyne.

However, PSG had the upper hand in the first half and controlled the attack.

The first half ended 1-0 to Paris Saint-Germain.

Pep must’ve had a firm talk with the Citizen in the dressing room, because Manchester City came out in the second half hungry for that crucial equaliser.

With their captain De Bruyne stepping up with the likes of Riyad Mahrez, City were dominating with the press.

Right after the hour-mark, the Sky Blues managed to get an equaliser from the Belgian midfield maestro.

With City players in the Parisian box, De Bruyne tried to curl a cross in to meet the foot of John Stones. What happened instead was the ball bounced, confusing Keylor Navas and ending up in the far-right corner of the net.

Some might say it was a sloppy piece of defending on the host’s part, but that wasn’t end of their woes for the night.

More than 10-minutes later, PSG conceded a free-kick 25-yards out from their net. Both De Bruyne and Mahrez lined-up to take the freekick. The Algerian winger took the shot with the ball squeezing past the Parisian wall and Navas’ gloves.

A large gap in the defensive wall cost PSG an away goal, giving the visitors the advantage they needed for the second leg next week.

The game ended 2-1 to Manchester City, who have a high chance of winning the quadruple this season.

Source of Image: UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE via Twitter

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply